Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Brand New Shopping Blog !


Welcome to The Artful Shopper Blog! For starters, let me introduce myself. I am BJ Foreman, and I'm a life-long shopper. Never you worry about how long this life is, just know that I consider myself a shopping expert.

A few years back, I was "The Artful Shopper," a weekly columnist at the Cincinnati Post, writing about new products and services, and examining the way in these were delivered by merchants. After a while on this side of the fence, I found myself on the other side! Through a family tragedy, I became president of Boris Litwin Jewelers, a fourth-generation Cincinnati business. To be honest, I wasn't a rank beginner. I had helped my dad and brother as a teen, in college, and even when I was a full-time journalist, if they needed help at lunch or on weekends. For many years, I fence-sat, juggling my journalism side and my retail side.

Finally I fell off the fence and was a retailer full-time. In the nine and a half years I've been carrying on the family's traditions, I've brought new twists of my own, too. I'd like to think that the values I prized as a shopping columnist, I have brought to our already well-regarded shop.

The shocker for me was the very bad manners of shoppers towards our business. Also, after becoming what I think is a sensitive retailer, when I am the shopper now, I really want be treated well by the businesses I patronize.

And so, I decided, with urging from my internet-savvy daughter, to take my applause and gripes to the internet, to spread the news of great stories and to warn of bad service and lousy shopping manners. I hope you'll visit this blog from time to time, and let me know your opinions, too. Tell me about great new products, times when you are pleasantly surprised by service. Maybe together we can make a difference in the way things are done! Thanks for visiting!

BJ Foreman

3 Comments:

Blogger laurenanne said...

Wow, BJ Foreman, what a pleasant suprise! Being a former employee of your buisness, I have to say that you really do take pride and honor in the jewelry that you sell. The unique and stylish jewelry that you sell really stands up to the Boris Litwin Standard of fine jewelry. What is even more trendy is your location on Hyde Park Square. I enjoy every trip I make to your store. I wish you all the success in the world and I do hope that the jewelry you sell goes to a nice person and as they say in the biz, "gets a nice home!"
-Sincerly, Lauren Shmalo

4:56 PM, August 21, 2006  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I have a shopping report for you.  On Saturday, after I left the
store, I went on a search for a few specific things - including a
scarf to wear like a head band (skinny, long, black, could also be
worn as a belt).  I did not find one, but I did find one
not-so-pleasant sales lady at Parisian who clearly didn't understand
what I was looking for and suggested that I go to Claire's.  I
explained that I was looking for something a little nicer than what
Claire's would have and she just looked puzzled.  Was it me?  Should I
have not said anything about wanting something nicer than Claire's?  I
always thought that sales people in retail shops would try to sell you
something from their store?

1:26 PM, August 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many reasons to shop at Litwin's with BJ Foreman as your jewelry guide, but let me just talk about one in particular. Everyone who comes into the store is welcomed warmly and considered a friend as well as a potential buyer. I feel so strongly that this way of doing business is what draws young people in and makes them long time shoppers at a particular store. What a wonderful inventory and what a wonderful atmosphere you have at Litwin's! K. Gibbons

8:00 AM, September 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home