Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Apartment Therapy overload

Apartment Therapy, I love you and I hate you. You are my new HGTV, and, damn it, I like it. We don't have cable TV anymore, so I've started spending time with you, an edgier, quickly-updated home improvement timesucker.

You are far more time consuming than HGTV ever was, damn you, with your archives and links and photo galleries. When that fabulous House Hunters show was over, I'd just turn off the TV. But you, Apartment Therapy, you force me to click-click-click night after night, while the guy who sleeps on the other side of the bed has to suffer with his a pillow over his head.

You first sounded your siren song while I was down. I should have known enough to turn away quickly, but alas it was love at first sight. I was frustrated about the living room, how it was so long and so narrow and we had too much furniture...Oh, you've heard it all before.

You've taught me so many terms, given me virtual tours of so many houses, shown me that I truly am an incompetent interior decorator. And, for that, I am grateful.

So, as an homage to you, I have created something that is quite familiar with your genre - a list. A list! On the internet? Why, yes.

So, without further ado, a list I could have only put together after guidance from a wise teacher: Apartment Therapy...

Liz's list of annoying interior touches:

1. Chalkboard paint - It's so '96
2. Anything from DWR (Yes, we do own a set of lime green DWR armchairs but we did procure them at the warehouse sale tres cheap.)
3. Anything from IKEA
4. Those damn annoying (Well...I DO like the Keith Haring Blik ones) wall stickers - They're Holly Hobby wallpaper borders of the 2000's.
5. How IKEA chic has TOTALLY replaced Pottery Barn chic.
6. Clustered photographs on a wall (Silly me, I actually want to do this in our house)
7. Subway tile and built-in floor-to-ceiling shelving (Who am I kidding? i LOVE subway tile and built-ins)

And, while I'm on a roll

What I do like about Apartment Therapy:

1. Everything, even everything on the aforementioned "annoying interior touches" list
2. AT's love of small spaces, simplicity and/or sensory overload
3. The fabulous slideshows
4. The term BoMo - bohemian modern. This is the look I am still hoping to recreate in the guest bedroom...someday.
5. How AT allows me to live vicariously. I don't really need to spend hour upon hour leafing through the CB2 catalogue, soaking up design*sponge, attending flea markets and going trash picking when I can just spend time admiring the finished products on AT.
6. How it inspires me to fix up my place, which, after two years, doesn't feel as put together as our first home should. Perhaps AT's editors would find the moving box that's used as a coffee table in our guest bedroom to be a charming touch. I'll call the style BoNo: moving box nouveau.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home